Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Summer days drifting away/more on Ike after math

yesterday evening was so nice, the breeze the sky. I am enjoying these last nights of summer. I know I know I am in Florida just because Fall is next Monday doesn't mean a thing our nights will continue to be warm for awhile yet. Still I love sitting out front watching my son ride his bike.

Watching the beautiful sky as the sun goes down.


I have a couple more really good shots but i am saving them for sky watch tomorrow.

I can't stop thinking about Ike and the Bolivar Peninsula,I just can't believe how many people stayed. It just boggles my mind. Why? is all I keep asking myself. I mean I want to chase Hurricane one day, but when Noaa says "certain Death will happen if you dont leave the coast" I am gone...See ya....later dudes... 400 people chose to ride it out, do you think they survided? Look down at the picture below and then check out the link and you tell me. Stupid just plain stupid.

Dr. Abby Sallenger, Jr. of the USGS described yesterday's damage survey flight:

Here's what we saw in our overflight from about Grand Chenier in western Louisiana to Freeport below Galveston.

We saw vast areas flooded by storm surge; the water extended landward in places for tens of kilometers. The beaches served as rims that contained the flood waters. In Louisiana, channels were cut (naturally) through the beaches so the water would drain seaward. Where the max surge occurred (between Bolivar Peninsula and Sabine Pass), the returning water completely submerged the Gulf shore for kilometers. The maximum impacts were on the Bolivar Peninsula, the site of our example comparisons online now.
Source-USGS
Check out the link for more photos and more information on this horrific event.

It looks like we will have a lull for storms in the alantic right now but I bet it wont last long, by next week check back with me and I bet I will have something to talk about.
Gotta go for now take care and God Bless!
Jess Cloud Stalker
If you want to make a donation to hurricane Ike victims here is a the link to the red cross

No comments: