Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sun Halo-Skywatch Friday


Sky Watch Friday is hosted by:Tom, Sandy, IMAC , Klaus & Ivar
For a free trip around the world to see the skies just click on the link.







A halo (ἅλως; also known as a nimbus, icebow or Gloriole) is an optical phenomenon that appears near or around the Sun or Moon, and sometimes near other strong light sources such as street lights. There are many types of optical halos, but they are mostly caused by ice crystals in cold cirrus clouds located high (5–10 km, or 3–6 miles) in the upper troposphere. The particular shape and orientation of the crystals is responsible for the type of halo observed. Light is reflected and refracted by the ice crystals and may split up into colors because of dispersion, similarly to the rainbow.

Sometimes in very cold weather optical halos are formed by crystals close to ground level, called diamond dust. The crystals behave like jewels, refracting and reflecting sunlight between their faces, sending shafts of light in particular directions.

Atmospheric phenomena such as halos were used as an empirical means of weather forecasting before meteorology was developed.

Other common optical phenomena involving water droplets rather than ice crystals include the glory and the rainbow.
SOURCE

This photo was taken in July of '07. I have featured this photo before in this blog, but I thought I would share it with the sky watchers.
I started a new blog yesterday called Silly Me I started it because in these hard times everybody needs a smile. So each day I am posting a joke from all the fwrds I get in my email box.If you have a funny joke or a funny picture you would like to share with me you can send it to my email @ cloudstalker.jess@yahoo.com.
Have a fantastic day!!
Peace and Love!!
Jess
Cloud Stalker

34 comments:

Dewdrop said...

I love solar halos!!! Great captures, Jess! Great idea on the other blog. Laughter is the best medicine!

CloudStalker said...

Thank you Dew!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post and nice photos:) Happy SWF!~

CloudStalker said...

THANK YOU YEN!! HAVE A GREAT SWF!

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful photos. Very dramatic!!
Happy Sky Watch

Roses and Lilacs said...

Very interesting. You say this phenomena was used to predict the weather. I wonder what is the forecast when we see a halo?
Marnie

imac said...

Super shots.

Photo Cache said...

So that's what they're called. Thanks for the info. Did I tell you how much I loved your title, Cloud Stalker?

Happy skywatching.

Corky said...

Great photos, very interesting too
Thanks :-)

Carletta said...

Absolutely beautiful!
Well done!

Tom said...

Delightful shot and a very informative posting... cloud stalking at its best... :O)

Thank for joining in with Sky Watch again this week...TOM
Mine's Here

Anonymous said...

Beautiful clouds - I really enjoy watching the clouds that float by my window. You found some good ones

Barbara said...

Beautiful photo and thanks for all the information.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I am learning so much about cloud formations on skywatch each week. Interesting narrative and dramatic image.

Anonymous said...

love the shapes of the gaps

Fish Whisperer said...

Nice halos and a neat commentary on what causes them
Thanks for sharing
Cheers

SandyCarlson said...

I just want to be there!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

WONDERFUL photos I have never seen anything quite like that!

Mary said...

Really good shots! I enjoyed the post too.

Claire said...

Even if those pictures weren't great. You won me over by giving the greek etymology. Well done.

Pearl Maple said...

Don't you love the interest and drama clouds and weather add to the sky. We might know that they predict weather but sometimes it is nice just to sit and watch the show.

Thanks for sharing with sky watch friday and your kind comments on my post earlier.

Leedra said...

Beautiful

Anonymous said...

I've seen that phenomenon, but I never knew what caused it. Thank you for the explanation, as well as for your nice photos.

Reader Wil said...

You are right: no matter where you are on earth skies take the same formations all over the world. That's why I showed an Australian sky together with a Dutch sky.
Thanks for your visit.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jess: So very neat, thanks for the explanation. You and Dew are really cloud experts.

Anonymous said...

Interesting column to go with your picture - learn something new each day, take care, Judyx

tr3nta said...

You have really nice sky captures on your blog!!!

Arija said...

I love halos, enjoyed seeing them from above overflying lower clouds in a small plane. Great shots.

Pernille said...

Wonderful dramatic sky-shots! Love it!

Unknown said...

Great Shots!

Unknown said...

Wonderful halo shots, never seen one before

vincibene said...

Gorgeous picture and interesting text!

Rambling Woods said...

Optical halos..I never knew what that was..Thank you as I always like to learn something new and thank you for visiting my SW..

Anonymous said...

A phenomenon to enjoy, nice idea to share this in image and info.