Thursday, October 16, 2008

sky watch/Fair-weather clouds




.


Fair Weather Cumulus Clouds
Fair weather cumulus have the appearance of floating cotton and have a lifetime of 5-40 minutes. Known for their flat bases and distinct outlines, fair weather cumulus exhibit only slight vertical growth, with the cloud tops designating the limit of the rising air. Given suitable conditions, however, harmless fair weather cumulus can later develop into towering cumulonimbus clouds associated with powerful thunderstorms.

Fair weather cumulus are fueled by buoyant bubbles of air, or thermals, that rise upward from the earth's surface. As they rise, the water vapor within cools and condenses forming cloud droplets. Young fair weather cumulus have sharply defined edges and bases while the edges of older clouds appear more ragged, an artifact of cloud erosion. Evaporation along the cloud edges cools the surrounding air, making it heavier and producing sinking motion (or subsidence) outside the cloud.

Source


This will be my 17th Sky watch, wow. I look forward to this all week. This weeks pics are from Sunday, my son and I went on a nice long bike ride which ended up in a new park they built out side of our neighborhood. I got a lot of cool shots if you scroll down a little you will see a couple I posted.
I just Love the sky!

Thank you for stopping in Happy sky watching!
Jess
Cloud Stalker

4 comments:

Dewdrop said...

Great shots, Jess. I especially love the last one.

Patty said...

Very nice...I love all of those

Tom said...

Hi Jess
Great post as always... love the pictures and of course the information....

Excellent post

Jeannelle said...

Great shots of the big billowy clouds, and the amazing sun rays! Interesting info about the clouds, too! Greetings from Iowa.